Monday, January 31, 2011

Deployment - 2 Weeks Down

We are now down two weeks into this deployment. I find that everyday brings something new. Matt pulled into their first port, and I am so excited for him. I'm so happy that he gets to see the world and travel, what other time would he have to have that opportunity? We talk through email, but he had mentioned he was going to try to call. I'm sure like most military wives when they hear this news, a flood of emotions came over me. First of all, I was thrilled at the thought of just hearing his voice again. When we first started dating, we took a trip to Myrtle Beach, SC and we made a Build-A-Bear together, dressed in a little sailor's outfit. Matt had recorded his voice and we put it in the paw of the bear. So still to this day I squeeze the paw to hear Matt saying "I love you, baby" Until I found out he was going to call, that was the only thing I had to hear his voice since he left. While I was seating on the edge of my seat waiting to get his phone call, I was worried I was going to be disappointed if he wasn't able to, or if I happened to miss the call. He called me around 8:30 in the morning and we talked for about 5 minutes. The connection wasn't the greatest, but just hearing his voice was worth it. He had said he was going to try to call later, and I had mentioned I had to go into work so to try to call before I had to be there. I didn't get another one, but I wasn't too upset. I already got to hear from him just a little bit. Come to find out after my shift that evening I saw I had missed not one, but TWO phone calls. I was devastated. I couldn't believe that I could have talked to him, perhaps a real conversation this time, and I missed it. It put me in the worse mood for the rest of the day, and the next. I definitely had my grumpy pants on. Then I realized, this is probably not the last time this is going to happen during this deployment. So while it will make me upset, I can't let it drag me down and make me feel even worse. Since then we have had a chance to talk numerous times which always brightens my day and makes me feel better, but I just hope next time he tries to call I can actually answer this time! ;) I am still looking for a book for military wives and surviving deployment. Do you happen to recommend one?

 The Build-A-Bear we made together. His name is Mateo, and he kind of reminds me of Matt :)

I really need to start working out and I feel gross not doing anything for awhile. I want to join a gym but I can never find time to go. I bought Zumba for the Wii to do at home, so I think I might pop that in and see how that goes. I'll keep you posted on that one. I have started reading again, and I am reading "Water For Elephants" - it's already a wonderful book and I am only on the 3rd chapter. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. I have been cooking and baking (whenever I can!) and I made an A-MAZ-ING pasta tonight! Pasta and Italian are my favorite foods, so I am always making pasta - at least once a week. This is a recipe I came up with tonight and I wanted to share it with you! I am very proud of this one because I made it up with the things I had in my pantry and fridge and it turned out AWESOME!

Pasta with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers
Serves 2-4 people, I usually eat it for a few days just by myself
Time - a little over an hour

2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 an onion, FINELY GRATED
4 large gloves of garlic, FINELY GRATED (I LOVE garlic, but if you aren't obsessed with it like I am then you don't have to use as much)
1 large roasted red pepper, finely chopped (either from a jar or roasting your own)
2 1/2 cups spinach, chopped (I use the spinach in the bag, it may look like alot but it shrinks down)
1 14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
1 14.5 oz can of tomato sauce
1 1/2 tbsp italian seasoning
pinch of red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you like your sauce)
2 tsp granulated sugar, or to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 pound of your favorite pasta (I use whole wheat fettuccine for this recipe)

Heat up olive oil in a large skillet. Add grated onion and saute until soft and slightly brown. Add grated garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Add roasted red pepper and stir to coat with olive oil. Cook for a minute or two. Add chopped spinach and stir to coat until wilted. Combine tomatoes and sauce, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, sugar, and salt and pepper. Cover and allow to simmer for up to an hour, stirring occasionally. In the last 15 minutes, bring salted water to a boil in a separate pot and cook pasta according to directions, but do not overcook! (It's better if you undercook by a minute actually since it will continue to cook a bit in the sauce) Add cooked pasta to the sauce and let simmer for another two minutes. Serve with garlic bread or a nice green salad!

Not the best photo, I will take another one tomorrow when I heat it up for dinner!

That's it, I hope you enjoy! If you decide to share, please mention my blog! Thanks!

Until next time, dolls!

- L

2 comments: